Girls bowling team wins first place at Baker

Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity girls bowling team pose for a picture after a win at Crown Lanes Bowling Alley on Jan. 15.

Wildcat Photo

Wildcat Photo

Wildcat Photo

Camryn Robbinson, News Editor

The De Soto High School girls’ bowling team attended a tournament at Baker University and obtained a first-place title on Feb. 14.

The varsity team includes sophomores Ella Fixsen, Maddy Calvello, Riley Harmon-Moore, as well as juniors Mason Johannes, Maddie Beal and Tiye’ Kindred.

For Calvello, the first place win was not expected, but was definitely a pleasant surprise.

“We did really well in the first four games,” Calvello said. “We ended up making it to the finals, and we beat Shawnee Mission Northwest in a tie-breaker game.”

According to Calvello, the excitement did not wear off after the team found out they were one game away from winning the first place title.

“Towards the end, all of us started really doing well, and once we beat them [SMNW]  we all got really excited . . . I am really proud of everyone and how well we did,” Cavello said.

While most bowling tournaments are scored individually, the Baker tournament allowed the girls to play as a team, showcasing their depth as a squad.

“It [the tournament] was a very unique experience for me because we were able to bowl as a team instead of individually, so there was a lot more pressure to do well,” Johannes said.  

Because of the challenging season the bowling team has faced, the win at Baker was much deserved.

“There is always room for improvement, but overall we have done really well this season. Everyone works well together and we all help each other when needed,” Calvello explained.

During this season, the bowling team has made personal goals to better their work ethic and sportsmanship, hoping to achieve them by the end of the season.

“Before the end of the season, I am hoping that girls varsity can go to State as a team, but I think it is important that we all do well individually and meet our personal goals,” Johannes said.  

Despite the pressure to perform well during these tournaments and meet certain goals, the bowling team has fun bonding with each other and consider themselves family.

Members, such as Johannes, recommend joining the bowling team because of the many jokes shared and the encouraging environment.

“I would recommend people to join the bowling team because it is a fun social experience and I have made so many new friends since joining this season,” Johannes said. “It is also a sport that you don’t necessarily have to be good at, so it’s not very daunting to try and take on.”

The great sense of teamwork will continue as the girls and boys bowling teams compete in Regionals at Park Lanes in Shawnee on Feb. 21.

Camryn Robbinson, News Editor

Meet Camryn Robbinson. This is Camryn’s junior year and her second year on staff. She has previously worked on the Green Pride as a staff reporter and...