Senior commits to Washburn University

Senior Tyler Barkemeyer pitches at a baseball game during his junior season on April 25, 2018.

Wildcat Photo

Ellie Fowks, Editor-in-Chief

As the school year reaches its second semester, more and more seniors from De Soto High School are choosing colleges. Senior Tyler Barkemeyer recently committed to play baseball at Washburn University in Topeka.

Barkemeyer explained that he has been playing baseball since he was in kindergarten and really enjoys the sport.

“It’s [baseball] a fun and relaxing sport, and I really enjoy competing and just being out on the field,” Barkmeyer said.

Head coach Joel Thaemert discussed how much Barkemeyer has improved since he started playing as a freshman for DHS.

“He’s grown big time. He’s become a big and powerful kid,” Thaemert explained. “He’s worked very hard in his craft, and he’s a terrific defensive third basemen. He’s really solid on the mound, and that’s why he’s going to Washburn.”

Barkemeyer said that there are quite a few things that he can’t wait to experience next year at Washburn.

“I’m excited to meet a bunch of new guys, new teammates and new coaches. I’m looking forward to just compete at a new level,” Barkemeyer said.

In terms of schoolwork, Barkemeyer plans to major in nursing while at Washburn University.

Throughout his career at DHS, Thaemert explained that Barkemeyer had a very positive impact on the team.

“The team will miss out on his production and his personality a lot after he graduates. He keeps everyone pretty loose and he doesn’t get too down when things don’t go well,” Thaemert said.

Thaemert is hopeful for the 2019 baseball season and has high expectations for Barkemeyer.

“He’s very positive and his performance on the mound was very good last year. We need him to continue to do that and lead us to hopefully bigger things,” Thaemert said. “If we make it to the state tournament, he’s going to be a big reason why.”

Ellie Fowks, Editor-in-Chief

Meet Ellie Fowks. This is her fourth year on staff and she is one of three Editor-in-Chiefs. She has previously been a staff reporter, photo editor and...