Basketball season comes to an end

Senior Brannon Bell looks for a open spot to pass the ball during a game against Paola on Feb. 9.

Johnny Meehan

Ellie Fowks, Web Editor

Both the De Soto High School boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams played their final games the week of Feb. 26.

The girls team was the first to play the sub-state game at DHS against Blue Valley Southwest on Feb. 27, facing a loss with a score of 57 to 39.

The boys then played the following night, Feb. 28, against Leavenworth at DHS, winning with a final score of 40-26.

The boys then advanced to the sub state game at Seaman High School on March 2 and closed their season with a loss of 69-52.

A few of the team members explained that, even though they played well, they believe there was more they could’ve done to secure a win.

“I think we played good offense, but we couldn’t get stops on defense, and that’s why we lost,” senior Levi Hanson said.

Despite wishing that they won their game against SHS, the boys agreed that they are happy with how the entirety of the season went.

“We had an awesome turnaround season and brought a league championship to DHS, which has not been done that often,” senior Jared Baruth said.

For Hanson and Baruth, the last game not only marked the end of the season, but the end of their basketball career as well.

“I’m going to miss the day in and day out work with my friends and the feeling of getting better throughout the season, but most of all, I’m going to miss just simply playing games,” Baruth said.

Overall, both the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams are proud of their performance this season and returners are looking forward to playing next year.

Ellie Fowks, Editor-in-Chief

Meet Ellie Fowks. This is her fourth year on staff and she is one of three Editor-in-Chiefs. She has previously been a staff reporter, photo editor and web editor. Her favorite thing to write is opinion stories because it gives her a way to express her own ideas. When she’s not writing for the newspaper, she enjoys journaling, spending time outside and being with her friends. Besides being involved in newspaper, Ellie is cheer captain, Student Council Secretary, on the Student Advisory Committee and in Pep ClubFor questions or story inquiries, Ellie can be reached at [email protected]