DHS attends powerlifting meet at Belton High School

DHS students attend the Belton High School powerlifting meet.

Rachael Hopkins, Staff Reporter

De Soto High School students attended a powerlifting meet at Belton High School on Feb 27.

Both boys and girls could participate in the competition. As a whole, the team received third place in the competition and many individuals also placed.  13 DHS students participated in the event.

In the girls’ division, junior Abi Huber placed fifth overall in the power points category, sophomore Kelsey Heer placed first in the bench press category, and freshman Ashley Cronkright placed first in the vertical category. The DHS girls’ team placed third as a team.

In the boys’ junior division sophomore Ethan Rodriguez placed first in pro-agility and broad jump as well as fourth in overall power points. Sophomore Trevor Watts placed second in pro-agility and overall power points. Sophomore Ty Walker placed first in hang clean, vertical and overall power points. The DHS boys’ junior division placed third as a team.

In the boys’ senior division junior Simon Couch placed first in bench press. Junior Max Barger placed first in vertical and fourth in overall power points.

There were roughly 250 high school students that participated at the competition and powerlifting coach Brian King was very pleased with the outcome.

“The competition was good. Our kids did a really good job,” King said. “There were a lot of big Missouri schools there and we competed really well.”

According to King, the team has set goals for each of their meets.

“We are always trying to finish in the top three as a team and we got there at this competition, which is good,” King said.

King favors this kind over powerlifting meets because it helps to improve a student’s athleticism and how to tell what kind of athlete they might be.

“There are powerlifting meets, but this was more based on athleticism. It involved squat, bench, clean, vertical jump, pro agility and broad jump. I also like these meets because it tells you what kind of athlete you are,” King said.