Overcoming the odds

The 2013-14 De Soto High School softball team is attempting a feat that they believe is possible, but one that is emotionally and physically taxing. That is, to overcome adversity and reclaim their State title.

While the team has done well in numerous games, they are attempting to return to State which, they believe, is not a task that should be taken lightly.

“Making it to State is difficult,” junior Morgan Stonestreet said. “… especially this year because we have so much pressure to succeed because we’ve done extremely well for the past two years.”

The team is feeling the pressure to succeed as Regionals is quickly approaching. However, they are having setbacks as they have such a a young team.

“There is one freshman and several sophomores who are now playing Varsity. We have to learn how to play together and how to become one cohesive unit. This takes a lot of work because last year’s team had played together for several years,” senior Ashley Mars said.

Although the team must overcome a significant amount of adversity, the players are still hopeful to make it to State. They play their Regional tournament the week of May 19. The team has been practicing every week night from three to five in the evening in preparation.

“Practice has been hard. The weather has been weird for most of our season, but it is getting a lot better now,” senior Cassidy Berry said.