Clampitt excels at state powerlifting

Sophomore Jannell Clampitt has proven herself to be a jack-of-all trades. While most students excel in one sport, Clampitt has excelled in many as evidence by her second -place performance in State power lifting on March 1.

In order to prepare for the State meet, Clampitt made sure that she ate healthy, got enough sleep, didn’t take things “too hard,” and made sure she had enough energy for lifting.

“I went in with the mind set of ‘this is what I need to do; this is how I’m going to do it’ and I did the usual and kept the same routine,” Clampitt said.

At the meet, Clampitt had to go through a specific procedure in order to compete. First Clampitt had to tell the judges what weight she wanted to come in at and then she had to wait until she was called. Clampitt then got ready and she had to wait until the judges allowed for her to start.

“Like for squat, you’ll get the bar; you’ll get ready, and then they will tell you ‘squat,’ and you have to squat, and when you are done you will wait, and then when they say ‘rack,’ you will just put it up,” Clampitt said.

In power lifting, each individual competes in three categories: squat, clean and bench press. Competitors can then place in each of the categories as well as an overall weight division, which is where the weight that one lifted in each of the three categories is added together, for their weight class.

Clampitt placed second in clean with 170 pounds,  third in bench with 140 pounds, just five pounds shy of her personal record and sixth in squat with 200 pounds, which was a personal record for Clampitt. She also got second in overall weight.

Clampitt was very surprised with how well she did.

“I thought I would PR in a few events, but I’ve been having trouble trying to past 200 for squat, and I am super excited that I got that,” Clampitt said. “It seemed really easy getting 200, so I definitely had more in me for that.”

Along with Clampitt, seniors Alex Deghand and Crystal Carrillo also competed in the meet. On the guys’ side, freshman Jake Griffiths,  junior Devon Robinson and seniors Ramsey Mason, Max Simonian and Robert Altic competed as well. Simonian and Robinson both got second in squat, in their weight divisions, and Mason got second in clean.

With the season done, Clampitt is already looking toward next year and is hoping to get first place in State. However, before she can do that, she first has track season of which she medaled at State last year in pole vault.

In the meantime, however, Clampitt believes she met her goals and did “very well” at the meet.