Girls win, boys fall in set of basketball games against Eudora

The De Soto High School girls’ and boys’ basketball teams squared off against opponents from Eudora  High School on Tuesday night.

The games were held in the DHS main gymnasium. The DHS band accompanied the game, entertaining the crowd and pumping up the team during timeouts and lulls in the game.

The girls’ team defeated the Cardinals 28-18. The team pulled away in the second half, following a neck and neck effort in the first two quarters.

The boys’ team, however, lost to Eudora. The final score was 66-53 in favor of the Cardinals.

Senior Luke Stenzel led the scoring with 17. Junior Dalton Verhulst and senior Quinton Verhulst each had 13 points for DHS as well.

For Eudora, freshman Mitchell Ballock chipped in 19 points to lead them to a victory.

The Wildcats are now looking to rebound in the true heat of the end of the season, where they may hold a small advantage. The annual Sub-State tournament will be held right here at DHS in early March.

The fact that the team is competing in their home environment may help their chances. There is a greater probability that fans will come out to support the team.

On a more short sighted note, the teams are preparing for their next games, which are on Friday, Feb. 21, against Paola High School.

Students are encouraged to stay after the game to participate in the 5th Quarter event sponsored by Cat Pride. The activities include a movie, dodgeball tournament and a giveaway of many prizes.