District considers renovating DHS track

Recently, rumors have been circulating around the school about the possibility of getting a new eight-lane track surface and turf for the football field.

Principal Mark Meyer said that the plans for this project are “in the idea and concept stage.” The administration has not been granted permission to start any projects, but they are still hopeful that they will be able to resurface the track sometime soon.

A committee called Activity Facility Improvement, however, has been formed by the administration from both De Soto High School and Mill Valley High School to discuss what needs are most important for the two  high schools.

One thing that continues to be a problem is finding the money to be able to do something substantial like this upgrade. If money wasn’t an issue, the committee would love to be able to have a normal regulation track and change the grass to turf so the football team could play in rainy conditions without tearing up in the field.

Another issue, aside from the resurfacing and the turf ideas, would be a new area for parking. Meyer explained that the parking is not ideal for the soccer games.

Money that is referred to as “uncalled bonds,” from the 2008 bond issue could be used to pay for the upgrade. Money from this was originally designated for Phase 3, which includes a new media center and classrooms. Since De Soto is not at capacity, it is not necessary yet. The committee is looking into possibly taking money from Phase 3 and putting it into the resurfacing and turf fields projects.

Another option being discussed is getting money from a different bond issue altogether. The USD 232 School Board has to agree to put another bond out to members of the community. This would then go through a voting process to help determine if this is a good use for the money. A challenge with this is putting the decision in the hands of the voters in the district.

If this project becomes definite, Meyer hopes to start working on the track the day track season ends. After working all summer long, hopefully it would be ready in time for fall sports.

Another path would be to wait until right after football season or even shut facilities down. If the project grew, it could take up to a year for it to be completely finished.

Since both Lexington Trails Middle School and DHS utilize the track, resurfacing seemed most important in terms of keeping athletes safe and able to perform at their best, since the current surface is old and rocky.

The committee is also exploring the possibility/cost of having the soccer and football fields becoming turf. The soccer team could share the field with the football team also. Turf would give teams the ability to play year-round, without the worry of rain or mud.

Meyer explained that the reason this was being looked at instead of upgrading the theater was because of the matter of usage. The theater is just not utilized as much as the track and the two fields.

People on the committee are both from Mill Valley and De Soto, which includes district-level personnel, parents, students and coaches as well as the USD 232 superintendent.

Right now, this project is still developing from an idea and thought stage. In due time, these ideas and projects could become a reality.