Boys’ swim team dives into second season

The De Soto High School swim team is off to quick start. The team participated in its first meet of the year on Dec. 10.

At the Blue Valley West invitational, several DHS swimmers performed well, including an eighth place finish in the 400 yard free relay.

“Our first meet was a great success. The guys came to the pool focused and ready to race,” head coach Alissa Ruffin said.

Individually, freshman Jarod Blazo got seventh in the 100-meter backstroke. Freshmen Cameron Webb and Jason Leuenberg took seventh and 10th, respectively, in the 100-meter butterfly. Sophomore Miles Arnold earned 12th in the 200-meter butterfly as well.

While the team could have performed statistically better at the meet, Ruffin believes that the team still did well.

“While we still have a lot to work on, DHS made a strong showing at their first meet of the season,”
Ruffin said. “We are certain there will be several State qualifications this year.”

The team is entering only its second season, and only two members are returning from last year’s team.

Due to this lack of experienced members, Ruffin believes that the first step towards success is establishing the program.

“As a young, new team, we are working hard to show established teams that De Soto High School has determined, talented and motivated swimmers who are ready to make a name for themselves,” Ruffin said.

The Wildcats will soon continue to put their talents to the test as their next meet is Dec. 18 at Turner High School.