Girls’ cross country closes season with State title

This weekend the De Soto cross country team achieved what they have been working for all season: a State championship. The boys’ team placed fourth and the girls’ cross country team claimed its second State title in history at the KSHSAA 4A State Cross Country Championships in Wamego Nov. 2.

The State championship team consisted of freshman Brianna Jenson, sophomores Morgan Darter, Jaycie Thaemert, Annie Schmucker, juniors Kate Barger, Meredith Wolfe and senior Rebekah Burgweger.

“Everyone did the thing that they were suppose to do. We all did the same thing that we’ve been doing all season and that led us to be really successful,” junior Kate Barger said.

To become a successful, the team has been working hard all year during practices to improve upon their skills and endurance. The volume of workouts and intensity increased all season in preparation for the difficult competition that was expected to come.

“[What made us successful] was that we were able to get ahead of everyone. In a race, if you get stuck in that pack then you are running with girls that are running times that are way slower than yours are. As a team we try to get out ahead and then maintain our position for the rest of the race,” Barger said.

Along with a state title overall, both the boys’ and girls’ teams were able to bring home individual placers in the meet. On the girls’ side Wolfe placed sixth, Schmucker placed 13th and Burgweger placed 14th. On the boys side, sophomore Luis Murillo placed 7th, senior Max Taulbee placed 10th, and junior Nathan Zwahlen placed 19th.

“I am so proud of this team, and I am so excited. I can’t get this smile off of my face. Everyone just did amazing this weekend. I can’t wait for what next season brings us,” Barger said.