Girls’ cross country named FOX 4 HyVee Team of the Week

Each week Fox 4 News names a Hyvee Team of the Week. This is a high school team in the Kansas City area that has achieved something great in the past week.

The team chosen this week was the girls’ varsity cross country team.

This honor comes right behind the team’s achievement of its win at Wamego on Sept. 14,2013.

“[Wamego] also like the pre-state meet, so kind of gives you an idea of where you stack up against other teams. So, to win there is pretty big, because we have potentially one of the best teams in 4A,”  head coach Chris McAfee said.

The team is also happy about its win at this important meet.

“We were really excited. We worked really hard. We focused on getting out and staying a pack,” said senior cross country captain Rebekah Burgweger.

This win was the teams first win in many years and has made the team proud. However, they plan to keep cool heads going forward.

“We want to keep level headed. Now we know we have a target on our backs instead of being cocky, we need to just to keep level headed and know that there are some really good teams out there and we need to make every race count,” Burgweger said.

The added honor of the Hyvee Team of the Week is also a highlight for the team.

“I am really excited for the girls. For them, I think it is really awesome; they are very deserving of it. They are a cool group of kids, and they kind of fly under the radar for their athletic ability,” McAfee said.

Go to http://www.fox4kc.com/2013/09/20/team-of-the-week-desotos-girls-cross-country/  to view the video which aired on Sept. 19, 2013.