Boys’ golf finishes this year’s season with State qualifier

The De Soto High School boys’ golf team has wrapped up its regular season and is set to finish up postseason action.

Regionals was hosted by DHS at Shawnee Golf & Country Club on May 13. In the past, DHS has played solid. Last year, the Wildcats placed fourth and in 2009, the team captured first place.

This year, DHS was tough competition for the 10 other schools. The team finished fourth with senior Austin Williams finishing fifth and qualifying for State.

“When he chipped in for birdie on hole 14, it put him in a good spot for State. He was excited and had big smiles all over the place,” head coach Tod Hessong said.

Sophomores Jacob Kerr and Joel Sweeney narrowly missed the cut, both by a few strokes.

The entire team consists of five seniors and five sophomores. With half of the team leaving next year, there are huge spots to be filled. However, Hessong is not worried.

“The sophomores that are coming back next year are quality golfers,” Hessong said “Plus some freshmen are planning on playing next year, and if we can recruit a few more guys, we’ll be in good shape.”

Throughout the year, the golf team practiced at various locations on different days, allowing them to gain experience on multiple courses.

“Kids get to see a variety of courses and holes, which made us better,” Hessong said.

An example of this is Kerr, who is second on the team after only 10 months of playing.

Like most other sports, weather has caused problems for the golf team this year, including having to cancel some tournaments. At the league tournament, the team had to play through a 27 degree wind chill.

Even with all of the weather-related problems this year, DHS nearly had three State qualifiers.

“We had a pretty good showing at Regionals, and we have someone going to State, so we should be happy,” Hessong said.

Williams and coaches will go for a practice round the day before State on May 19 and stay overnight. State will be played at Cherry Oaks Golf Course in Cheney, Kan., May 20.