Track and field to compete in Wichita

The DHS track and field team is once again competing in the K.T. Woodman Classic this week in Wichita on April 11 and 12. The event is held at Cessna Stadium and is hosted by the Wichita State University Athletic Department.

In his 13th year as long distance coach, Chris McAfee is looking forward to the meet.

“We’ve only had one meet up to this point, and we performed really well,” McAfee said. “But we are still open to improvement.”

In last week’s meet at the Mill Valley Jaguar Invitational , DHS athletes won many events including men’s 400 meters, 1600 meters, 3200 meters, 300 meters hurdles, 4×800 meters relay, high jump and pole vault. The team also took first place with the help of a record-breaking pole vault by Zach Griffith.

On the women’s side, the Wildcats won the 3,200 meters, 300 meters hurdles, shotput, discus and javelin throw.  Senior Jeanette Clampitt also broke her own school record in the shotput.

“We have high hopes for everyone, but for the boys especially with the way they performed at Mill Valley,” said long jump and triple jump coach Matt Rice,  who is in his sixth year of coaching.

This is the 64th year of the K.T Woodman Classic. It is the first of  three track meets that Wichita State hosts this year, and one of the biggest.

“My guess would be there’s probably about 40 schools altogether,” McAfee said.

The Wildcats have performed well in previous years, although last year’s meet was canceled due to rain.

“We’ve had some good performances there in the past,” Rice said. “And I’m hoping we can have another one this year.”