King announced as new football coach

De Soto High School strength and conditioning coach Brian King was announced as the new head coach of the DHS football team March 27.

The hiring came after the announcement that former head coach Tom Byers would be stepping down, leaving a vacancy at the position. King says that receiving the job is an honor.

“I felt very honored. This is something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve been involved in football for 19 years in a row now, from junior high to coaching, but there are a lot of steps involved in being a head coach,” King said.

King previously served as an assistant with the team. Several people applied for the position, and King said that taking the job was an easy decision.

“In general, I’m excited. Nobody, including myself, was happy to learn Mr. Byers wouldn’t be coaching anymore. However, I had no hesitation to accept the job when it was offered to me,” King said.

As for what King will bring to the team, he said his goals are to “teach discipline” and “be a good role model,” and that success will come from that.