Getting back in the swing with boys’ tennis

With snow days and the musical, the De Soto High School boys’ tennis team is having a hard time getting back in the swing of things.

With only two returning varsity members, senior James Newton and junior Ramsey Mason, the tennis team will be full of new leadership.

Seniors on the team are Dylan Foster, Nick Hall, Newton and Blake Bradford. Hall, Foster and Newton have played all four years.

“I know that we were really senior heavy last year,” head coach Justin Hoffman said. “We hope to have some State qualifiers this year.”

Freshmen twins Alex and Luke Zoller along with their junior brother Ben have shown promise for this season with experience in the sport. Hoffman said that other young players have shown potential to develop into good players. Hoffman also coaches the girls’ tennis team.

Teams and pairings have yet to be set.

“We’re kind of on a time crunch to get to know the players and what their strengths are and to get them into a good position for Regionals,” Hoffman said.

The first boys’ tennis match will be on March 26 at the Washburn Invitational tournament.