Bowling picks up first team victories

While the De Soto High School basketball teams claim all the attention during the winter sports season, the bowling team lies in the shadows virtually unnoticed except when wearing their green bowling shirts on meet days.  But recently, the bowling team had a great finish at one of their meets.

The varsity boys’ team had their first victory Jan. 16 at the Sumner Academy meet and just a few days later they won again at the Bishop Miege meet.

During the Sumner meet, senior Landon Moore led the team to its victory with a high score of 230.  Junior Nate Hess followed Moore’s score with a 216.

At the Bishop Miege meet, Hess and freshman Austin Smith led the team by averaging over 200 points for all three rounds. The team was very pleased in their performances.

“We did very good, everyone got their average or better,” senior Zack Umholtz said.

The team has seven more meets in their season.  Coming up meets include the Turner Triangular and the Topeka West Triangular.

The team is not satisfied with only one first place trophy and hope to bring home many more.

“Looking ahead to our schedule, we have the potential to win another meet,” Hess said.

With only one full year of experience, most bowlers have not reached their peak and will continue to improve and hopefully bring more trophies back to DHS.