DHS basketball travels to Hays

The De Soto High School boys’ and girls’ varsity basketball teams traveled to Hays for the 30th Annual Hays City Shootout tournament Nov. 29 – Dec. 1.

Although the girls’ team didn’t place with a 1-2 record, they felt like they did well overall.

“I think that getting to play games helps us play as a team more., senior Maria Pileski said. “We’ve lost a lot of girls to injuries so this trip, as a whole, helped with team bonding and getting comfortable on the court.”

The girls won against Great Bend on Thursday night, lost to Kearney on Friday and lost their third game against Hays High.

“We played three different styles of teams which each exposed different weaknesses. All of which we are able to work on now,” head coach Jim Bonar said.

The boys’ team had slightly more success with a 2-1 record to finish in third place. The boys won their first game against Great Bend, lost to Kearney and won against Newton.

“I think we played well. I was pleased with third and especially with Dalton Verhulst, Gage Carrol and Isaac Leuth. We handled adversity well and were able to take some steps forward,” head coach Matt Rice said.

Seniors Pileski and Ryan Stallbaumer were awarded to the All-Academic tournament team, and sophomore Megan Bonar was chosen for the All-Tournament team.

The next boys varsity game is Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m. at Shawnee Mission South. The girls varsity team will play Dec. 12 at Leavenworth High School at 7:30 p.m.