Cross country looks to claim State trophies

The De Soto High School cross country team has made it to State. The 4A State meet will be in Wamego on Saturday, Oct. 27.

The boys’ main goal is to win the State championship. They are rated third in the state right have been working extra hard throughout the week to be ready for Wamego.

Head coach Chris McAfee said that the girls’ top goal is to get one of the top three trophies, and if they accomplished this they would be pretty happy.

“We think that in a bigger meet we’ve got a bigger chance to beat them. We feel pretty confident,” McAfee said.

Last year senior Angel Vasquez won the State Championship with a time of 16:30 and is really anticipating that the team will earn a State title.

“I’m excited,” Vasquez said. “I’m really excited. It should be really good. The competition looks really good this year.”

McAfee feels that there is not much room left for improvement. The only thing that could really help is to race that much harder in the end.

“If we race a little tougher in that second half of the race then we’ll be more than fine,” McAfee said.

Vasquez agreed that the team has worked hard and has high hopes for the meet.

“We wouldn’t change a thing. Our confidence is very high,” Vasquez said.