Volleyball Wildcats take down Ottawa in straight sets

The De Soto High School volleyball team improved to 11-8 on the year after a strong showing at its home match against Ottawa on Sept. 11, winning every set 25-15, 25-23, 25-15 to end the match.

The volleyball team came into the match with goals of being consistent, having a lot of communication and focus, competing every point and to win.

“I was very happy with the way that the girls competed,” head coach Linsday Hothan said.

While the girls accomplished their goals, Hothan continues to hope for more improvement.

“We have to continue to stay consistent … just focus for this year,” Hothan said. “Just consistency and to also, while we are playing, to maintain a sense of urgency.”

Some of the memorable moments of the game included senior Jeannette Clampitt leading the team with 13 kills and sophomore Abby Oberle with 17 digs. According to Hothan, senior Kori Henderson and Oberle, the only two back row players, did a good job on defense.

Hothan also said the girls were able to keep in control the entire time because they kept their momentum going.

Overall, the girls were very happy with the end result.

“The team was really pumped. We’ve grown so much from the first time we started, to now, and it’s really exciting to see the team grow, but the team was really excited about the win last night,” Clampitt said.

The team will now focus on some of their bigger goals of winning a tournament, League and Sub-State.

The volleyball team will compete next at the Rossville Tournament on Sept. 15. DHS finished third in the 12-team tournament last year.