Girls basketball starts season strong

As basketball season gets underway, the De Soto High School girls’ basketball team is preparing for the start of its Frontier League schedule. The Wildcats have already played in the Hays City Shootout, where they got fifth place against strong teams, losing their first game but winning the next two.

Their first League game is at Ottawa on Dec. 16. This promises to be a challenging match for the team.

“It is going to be a tough game,” junior captain Katie Gehrt said. “They have one of the best shooters in the state.”

However, don’t count this team out. Their defensive press should disrupt Ottawa’s offense enough to give DHS a chance to win the game.

“We definitely could beat them,” Gehrt said. “We just need to keep working in practice.”

After the break, the Wildcats face another League rival in Eudora. However, the Cardinals are not as powerful as Ottawa.

“Eudora gives us a chance to work on our offensive plays and shot selection,” Gehrt said.

If DHS can emerge victorious from those two contests, they would have a shot to compete for the Frontier League championship as the season continues.