Open letter to The Green Pride staff: Ellie Fowks

Dear Green Pride staff,

Welcome to my last web story ever, and probably the most sentimental one too. After four years of writing for the paper, it’s weird to think that it all comes down to this last little story about me and my appreciation for my experience on staff.

I guess I’d like to just start out by thanking you guys for all the hard work you have done this year, as it is not easy to jump right into school newspaper with having minimal experience with Photoshop and InDesign. Things have felt slightly rushed all year, but I guess that’s how you know that you’re getting enough work done. I understand that at times this was frustrating, but I want to thank you guys for going with it and never complaining, getting your work done well with such harsh time constraints.

I also want to praise you guys for the quality of work that you produced. From even just looking back at last year, it is easy tell there is huge difference in the quality of work for page design, and you guys are all of the reason for that. With your guys’ help, I think we were able to produce some of the best work that The Green Pride has ever seen. You guys were always willing to try new things and to take the time to learn how to do design tasks that I didn’t even learn until this year. Additionally, once you were finished with your work, I’m proud that some of you volunteered to pick up other jobs in order to help your peers make sure that they were done on time. This year, I think we were really able to work together in order to get everything done.

I would also like to give a special thanks to Cody Murphy for being there when we needed an extra hand in the writing and design processes. Even though you were on staff as a video journalist, you would occasionally write or design for us willingly and that was gratefully appreciated. And thank you to Mr. Sullivan for listening to our ideas and giving us creative liberty to follow what we thought would work best. Lastly, thank you to my fellow Editor-in-Chiefs. Lizzy and Sam, you have been wonderful to work with this year. I think that we really balanced each other out and were very compatible when putting the paper together. Thank you for being patient with me and all our other staff members. I wouldn’t have wanted to do this job with anyone else.

With love,

Ellie Fowks, Editor-in-Chief (for the last time)