Blog: Why I’m skipping out on assassins

Rylee Wilson, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Senior year involves a lot of pressure. Not only the pressure to apply to college and figure adult life out, but also the pressure to participate in traditions and having a picture perfect senior year: senior pictures, homecoming, senior skip days, pranks, prom and graduation. While all these school activities can be fun, and I’m definitely looking forward to some of them, there’s one senior tradition I’m definitely skipping out on: assassins.

It’s a game played by senior classes all over the country. The object is simple: be the last senior standing. Everyone is randomly assigned a target to “assassinate” with a water gun, water bottle or some other hydration apparatus. The catch is that targets cannot be assassinated at school or at work, meaning the game involves essentially stalking your opponents. The winner of the game receives the money from everyone’s entry fees and the eternal glory of being DHS assassins champion.  

While the game can be a fun way to bring the senior class together, for me, it’s an introvert’s nightmare. The idea of someone waiting outside my house to attack me with a super soaker is enough to keep me locked in my bedroom forever. While the stalking element in assassin’s may sometimes go too far, it’s part of what you sign up for in the game. And don’t get me started on having to track someone down. I’m the type of person to have trouble saying hi to someone I don’t know, much less tracking down their location and stealthily splashing water in their face.

Despite these worries, I almost participated in assassins, due to a fear of missing out. Sometimes, as a senior, it’s easy to get caught up in making sure I’m doing all the “fun” things I’m supposed to be. As the year has gone on, I’ve realized that it’s okay if I miss one football game or skip out on a silly water gun fight. Senior year is about making the most of the time with my friends and making time for myself. For some people that means attending every single tradition, dance, football game and pep rally. But sometimes it means spending time with family or friends or pets before we all go our separate ways after high school.

So, good luck to everyone playing assassins. I may not be involved myself, but I’m definitely following every step of the way on Twitter.