How old is too old to trick-or-treat?

Clara Sloan, Staff Reporter

Adolescence is often thought of as a time of putting up with the irresponsible and obnoxious behaviors of youth. With that perspective, it’s easy for adults to shake their heads and assume the tall kids with acne at their door on Halloween night are simply just looking for free junk food.

But let’s take a different perspective for a minute. Adolescence is also a time when one foot is attempting a leap into adulthood and the other is stuck in childhood. Many teens spend the years they have as a young adult pining for the sentimentality that childhood traditions bring, including going door-to-door on Halloween. Despite being told to “grow up” they may well want to act more kid-like than their parents or peers condone.

But just how old is too old to trick or treat? Dressing up in a costume and going to Halloween parties is something many people do well into adulthood, but the tradition of knocking on a stranger’s door for free candy is one seemingly still relegated to the kids.

There is no age set in stone at which people have to end the tradition, but most agree that around the time kids reach the teenage years, it’s time to hang up the masks.

Sophomore Jacob Ward does not go trick-or-treating on Halloween but sees no problem with teens continuing the tradition.

“Its at the discretion of the person handing out the candy,” Ward said. “So if they feel like you’re too old and they want to save the candy for the kids then that’s alright.”

I say, if teens want to carry on the tradition, by all means, go for it. That said, they should embrace the whole occasion. They need to put together a costume and I don’t mean throwing on a white sheet.

Instead of shaming older trick-or-treaters for wanting to join in on the fun, maybe we should try to see from the perspective of that teen conditioned to believe they have reached the age in which sentimentality no longer belongs.

Clara Sloan, Web Editor

Meet Clara Sloan. This is senior year, as well as her 3rd year on staff. She has previously worked on the Green Pride as a staff reporter and opinion editor....