New Year’s resolutions are pointless

The New Year is coming fast and so are the unbearable New Year’s resolutions that come with it.

The problem with New Year’s resolutions is that they are pointless. New Year’s resolutions are supposed to be a goal for the entire year. Instead, they end up being a goal for a month. If one is only going to last a month, one should not make a resolution.

However, some people say setting goals is a good thing, no matter how long they last. Yet, I think that when people give up on their goals too easily it undermines the idea, which is what happens with most New Year’s resolutions. Today, when people come up with their resolutions, they barely try to make them last.

Another reason New Year’s resolutions are pointless and doomed to fail is because they are unrealistic. For some odd reason, people believe that when a new year comes, they will be able to accomplish something they could not do in the previous year.

Some examples of these resolutions are, “I am going to go to the gym every single day” or “I am going to eat healthier.”

The problem with these resolutions that make them so unrealistic is that they take a giant step in only one goal. A better goal than “I am going to eat healthier,” is “I am going to have at least one piece of fruit, five out of seven days.” While this goal might seem easy, it is doable. In addition, after one makes this goal part of their every day life, one can make another goal towards eating healthier.

The other reason New Year’s resolutions fail is that they are very vague. For example, take the resolution “I am going to go to the gym every single day.” It does not have a set time and it does not state what one does when he or she goes to the gym. This allows one to break the resolution more easily. It also is very unrealistic, because there is a high possibility that one would not be able to make it to the gym every single day, especially if one is not accustomed to working out.

Every year though, people always make the same mistakes with their resolutions. The result is, many New Year’s resolutions that are given up on when the year has barely started.