Marijuana legalization is detrimental

Marijuana is a substance that should not be permitted within the United States. Although this drug is not the most horrendous in itself, it does motivate users to try other forms of illegal substances. Marijuana is what most deem as a gateway drug.

Some may justify their smoking as a fun, recreational activity. It is something for the user to do when they are bored. To these people, it provides entertainment while hanging out with friends. Personally, I believe that I can have just as much fun with my friends without being disoriented by drugs. It is ridiculous that people deem marijuana necessary to have a good time when it is completely unnecessary.

Also, many people simply use marijuana for the sense of danger that correlates with it. Users enjoy the thrill of possibly getting caught. The last time I checked, nothing is attractive about being caught with weed. In fact, it is entirely the opposite. Smokers are essentially paying for the drug and then paying for using the weed. This, to me, sounds like a ridiculous and avoidable cost. Users should instead use this money towards benefitting their future.

In addition to this, smoking marijuana has similar effects to smoking cigarettes. In some ways, marijuana is much worse. Studies done by the University of Washington show that marijuana users inhale more smoke which penetrates deeper into one’s lungs. This smoke then stays in the lungs for a longer period of time. This causes respiratory problems earlier in life than cigarettes do. This can lead to lifelong respiratory struggles as well as cancer and immune system failure.

Along the same lines, studies done by the Journal of the American Medical Association show that people that use marijuana are two to five times more likely to try other substances. These drugs lead to potentially fatal symptoms. If marijuana was eliminated entirely, the chance that people would try other substances would be lessened.

In addition to this, various pro-marijuana websites plea that marijuana is not addictive. This is in fact disproved by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Statistics show that addiction is common in daily users spanning between a 25 percent addiction rate to a nearly 50 percent addiction rate.

With this sort of addiction, complications are inevitable. It is proven that marijuana use leads to an increased chances of anxiety, depression and schizophrenia according to NIDA. These disorders can change a person’s outlook on life entirely. By permitting these drugs, people are essentially promoting anxiety, depression as well as schizophrenia. This is not just.

On top of marijuanas effect on the emotional and physical side it also, contrary to may peoples beliefs, decreases intelligence. The National Bureau of Economic Research has done studies that support this fact. Marijuana users scored 15 percent lower on a standardized math exam comparative to those who do not participate in the ridiculousness that is recreational marijuana. This leads the U.S. towards a less intelligent future which will restrain progress.

This in turn is expected to effect the national economy drastically in the future according to NBER. The future wages of students who will not attend college will decrease by as much as two percent because of marijuana use.

I know that all of these facts may not change one’s stance on the topic, but the fact that older marijuana abusers are affecting the youth concerns me. According to NIDA, in 2009, nearly 16 percent of eighth graders had attempted marijuana. Eighth graders should be involved in studies and sports, not marijuana. Since then, the numbers have not improved, marijuana use is on the rise.

People need to realize that today’s eighth graders are the future of the United States of America. These kids minds, bodies and spirits are being affected because of their exposure to drugs at such a young age. Take into consideration that by promoting marijuana to the youth, one is also depreciating the future of America.

I would also hope that people would think about their future children. Would you want your child attempting this substance that is proven to have negative effects in the long run? As a nation, we should be looking out for the youth and their future. By permitting marijuana, we are doing the opposite.