Kansas cell phone law is unenforceable

Kansas cell phone law is unenforceable

Recently, a new law has been proposed regarding cell phone usage while driving. With this, drivers will not only be unable to text or call while driving, but also be denied from using any hands-free devices such as Bluetooth.

Officers would have no idea whether or not the person within the vehicle is using their cell phone or simply singing along to their car radio. Law enforcement would be overwhelmed deciding whether or not to pull over a person who appears to be moving their mouth. Which is simply one reason why the law is utterly outrageous.

“I think that [the] law that is going to be almost impossible to enforce. There’s just too many variables and too many instances … where someone is not actually talking on the phone,” said School Resource Officer Mark Leiker.

Along with this, there is no way officers can enforce the law to begin with. Police departments with a larger staff are more likely to crack down and catch more people, while in rural areas, like De Soto, the law would be overlooked. The discrepancy in the amount of enforcement makes the law unfair. Why should some people be punished for doing it while others get away with it daily?

I personally believe that this is unjust and unfair. Not only will this be inconvenient for people who are constantly on the go and have no other time to make crucial phone calls, but most of the police force will essentially be hypocrites. Police officers generally use some form of communication to get messages to one another whether they happen to be driving or not. How is it fair to have the person punishing you be guilty of the same thing?

Between the inaccuracy and discrepancy in the amount of enforcement this law proves to be absurd. My opinion is that there is absolutely no need for this law and that even if the law is passed it will certainly not be followed.

“The way the law reads right now I think is fine. People are going to be distracted regardless of whether or not calls are made. The government is just trying to put a law into affect that is unenforceable,” Leiker said.