Congress needs to get their priorities straight

Did you know that pizza is now considered a vegetable? Yet another landmark decision from the United States Congress as they, like Nero, fiddle while Rome burns. Congress is wasting time debating nutritional guidelines and bickering on super committees and not getting anything done, while world events are happening at great speed all around them that need to be addressed.

While Congress wastes time, the U.S. unemployment rate still hovers around eight or nine percent, and that doesn’t count people who just gave up. The euro is crashing and threatens to take the world markets down with it. Our deficit is above $15 trillion, and much of it is owed to China, a hostile growing power.

While the legislators fight over pork for their district, the West is losing the Middle East. Egypt, a long time US ally, is posed to be taken over by the Muslim Brotherhood, an Islamic extremist group, while Libya also falls to religious fanatics. The Syrians are slaughtering their own people, and relations between the US and Pakistan, an unstable nation armed with nuclear weapons, deteriorates. An atomic bomb is within Iran’s grasp, while Israel contemplates military action.

These are just the problems that are in the news. We are also facing many other serious issues that the media and Congress gloss over.

Our Congressmen are sitting in their plush offices in Washington, bickering with each other and schmoozing with lobbyists while the nation and her people suffer. We need to remind them who they work for.

America is facing troubling times, not since the 1970s have we had these serious issues, and our leaders seem to not notice what is happening. Remind our representatives that they need to do something about these issues, or they will have a rude awakening next November.