Construction traffic a pain to deal with

As many people have noticed, it’s construction time again! Yay! Bungled parking, exits closed and a general pain.

It seems worse this time though; especially in the parking lot. I realize the construction workers need places to park and work, but they have taken up almost a third of the parking lot and closed down an exit many people use to leave school.

Consequently, the parking lot is overflowing and the entrance and exit to the school is clogged every day. Another problem with getting out that has been exacerbated by the construction, is parents who pull into the line of cars leaving, and just stop in the middle of the road to pick up their kids.

It is also bad getting in. Cars are lined up all the way to Lexington Avenue, because the police have to stop traffic to let the buses, back into the flow of traffic in order to take kids to the middle school. A simpler solution would be to let kids out in the back or give the buses special exemption to go through the construction area.

One of the main problems for seniors, is how it messes up our parking. I understand this was necessary, but we should have been informed of the impact construction would have on the parking lot, before we picked our spaces.

If the changes in the parking lot were temporary maybe a few weeks or a monthlong it would not be so bad, but it will be a lot longer. The construction of Phase 2 will be a big and extended project. It will take the rest of the school year if not longer, it is predicted to be about 14 months.

The congestion is already spilling out of the school parking lot and beginning to affect Lexington Avenue, and others who are trying to get to work.

The system now is already incredibly convoluted, and it will just get worse as time goes on. We need a new system to deal with the congestion.

I would suggest, as I said before, letting the buses go through the construction zone or changing the drop off point. The school could also set firmer policies on parental pickup to ease the congestion in the front parking lot. Whatever the school chooses to do, changes are needed.