Keep it classy ladies

When girls are a year old, their moms excitedly dress them up for their first Halloween night, in a full-body pumpkin costume with a matching hat and candy bag. A few years later, their daughters will dress up as their favorite princess and compete with their friends to see who can collect the most kit-kats and butterfingers. In middle school, if they aren’t already “too cool”, then some girls will dress up as their favorite icon, singer or actress.

However, from their first year of high school and there on, if any girl is caught walking on Halloween night dressed up in anything that covers over half their body, they are immediately seen as an outcast.

At high school Halloween parties, it’s the same thing every year, the Playboy bunny, flashy Pocahontas and the unforgettable naughty nurse. What ever happened to original Halloween costumes?

As a high school student, I would prefer to see cute and funny costumes on Halloween night, instead of seeing my peers walking around in minimal pieces of fabric; because wearing anything that took some creativity and thought would be considered lame.

And of course, the entire Halloween night will be thoroughly documented, then displayed the morning after on every bunny, Pocahontas and nurses’ facebook photo albums. Every revealing, store-bought costume will be posted on the web for anyone to see.

It is obvious to most, that girls dress up as such in hopes to be admired. Yet, a person doesn’t have to sacrifice their self-respect for a night full of attention. Personally, I overlook the risqué costumes. My attention, the night of Halloween, is focused on the outfits that are funny, cute or creative. Get a little creative, and try to go outside of the “popular” box.

Halloween night is a perfect chance to be completely original and choose a costume that fits your personality. Some ideas would be to dress up with someone: a couple costume. Danny and Sandy from Grease, for example. Or, pick a favorite movie character, learn some of their quotes, and be their character for the night. In turn, dressing up as a condiment is always an option. A walking bottle of ketchup will always get a good laugh.

So ladies, as you are deciding what to wear the night of Halloween, keep it original and fun. Don’t be just another girl in a skimpy costume.