DHS 2019 Homecoming ready to begin next week

2019 De Soto Homecoming Court: Chase Culver, Camryn Robbinson, Cody Adams, Erin Pickert, Cameron Allen, Lamyah Ricks, Taylor Ellis, and Luke Barger

Abby Campbell, Staff Reporter

De Soto High School’s Homecoming will occur on Saturday Oct. 19. The theme this year is Alice in Wonderland. 

Throughout next week, there will be a spirit theme for every day. Beginning Tuesday Oct. 15, themes will be Pajama Day, Crazy Accessories Day, VSCO Girl vs. Eboy Day and Green Out Day. Oct. 15 will begin homecoming week with tickets being available for purchase during lunch ($8 for single, $12for couple) and a Seminar door decorating contest.

Art teacher Sheila Wilkins is one of the door decorating judges for Homecoming week. 

Wilkins said she would like to see something that is “creatively interpreting the theme.”

The Seminar that wins will also be rewarded with pizza as a fun way to raise school spirit and competition. 

Wednesday will include the Homecoming parade beginning at 5:30 p.m., followed by Powderpuff, the girls’ flag football scrimmage, right after. Students are highly encouraged to join the parade or participate in Powderpuff. 

Sophomore Amy Rocha is more than excited to be playing in her second year of Powderpuff. 

“It’s just so fun to be able to play a game that we don’t always get to play. It’s fun to be able to do it with all my friends and compete against other grades,” Rocha said. 

Voting for Homecoming king and queen nominees will take place Thursday, followed by the pep assembly on Friday in the auxiliary gym at 9:14 a.m. The Homecoming football game will also take place Friday night at 7p.m. against Spring Hill. 

For the dance itself, the doors will open Saturday night from 8to 11 p.m., but in order to attend the dance, students must arrive at 9pm at the latest. If tickets have not yet been purchased, they will be available at the door for $10. 

Freshman Emerson Brown is also very excited to be attending her first Homecoming this year at DHS. 

“I’m really excited to go with friends and have fun,” Brown said.