Snow days affect the rest of second semester

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Sean Ferrel, Brent Smith and Kyle Smith help scrape ice from car windshields after school was dismissed Wednesday Feb. 6.

Lynlee Hutchison, Staff Reporter

School is only in its first few weeks of the semester, and the limit for district allowed snow days has already been surpassed. Snow days this year have been called not only for snow, but also dangerous road conditions due to ice and extremely low temperatures.

Many students of De Soto High School have enjoyed the many days off this winter.

“On snow, days my favorite thing to do is sleep in and hang out with friends,” sophomore Wyatt Noll said.

Although school was not in session, athletes, including Noll, will sometimes still have scheduled practices and games to attend.

“I don’t feel like the practices were complicated [due to the weather].They are nice to have because they keep me doing something when otherwise I’d be in bed sleeping,” Noll said.

Not only are students enjoying the days off, but the staff has been enjoying a little extra time at home as well.

“For me it’s nice, especially during basketball season. I get to see my kids a little bit more, spend some time at home and of course sleep in,”social studies teacher Ryan Robie said.

However, with multiple days off, it makes planning harder on the teachers to adjust their class agenda.

“I like routine, so for me a day here and there is nice, but when they get lumped up together it makes more work sometimes than just showing up and being here,” Robie said.

With block scheduling at DHS, teachers have to make adjustments to keep green day and white day classes in sync.

“It’s a matter of trying to find things that are still educational and provide value to the kids without getting too far ahead with certain classes,” Robie said.

Now, every snow day called will have to be added to the end of the school year or taken off of planned breaks.

“I appreciate a day off more in the middle of the school week than in summer when all of the days run together,” Noll said.

Pending approval from the school board, the district plans to schedule school on April 19 to make up for the cancellation due to inclement weather.

As winter continues, students and staff will wait and see what Kansas weather brings throughout the rest of the season; or if there are more snow days to come.

Lynlee Hutchison, Staff Reporter

Meet Lynlee Hutchison. This is Lynlee’s sophomore year and first  year on staff. Her favorite thing to write is feature stories because it gives her...