Female students react to Justice Kavanaugh’s appointment

Protesters take to the streets to oppose Justice Kavanaugh on Oct. 5.

Creative Commons

Clara Sloan, Web Editor

On Oct. 6, the Senate voted to send Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, causing substantial uproar among many due to the controversial sexual assault allegations against him. Kavanaugh’s nomination was nearly derailed by Christine Ford’s allegations that he assaulted her when they were teenagers in the 1980’s.

“I personally think that men that are even accused of sexual assault, especially rape, should not be in this kind of position of power because it affects everybody,” senior Morgan Cravens said. “It’s just kind of scary.”

Similarly, senior Julia Coverdale feels that whether or not Kavanaugh is guilty of the allegations, his “attitude and reaction to Dr. Ford’s testimony was not appropriate for a justice on the Supreme Court.”

During his testimony, Kavanaugh gave an emotional response to Dr. Ford’s allegations that included recovering a calendar he kept from the time of the alleged assault.

“At any other job interview you cannot get accused of sexual assault, pull out a calendar from 30 years ago and cry, and still get the job,” Coverdale said.

While some are unhappy with Kavanaugh being sworn in, those such as senior Erilynn Meo are satisfied with the decision.

“I feel like since he was in high school he was a stupid child, so I don’t think it should play such an important role in the decision,” Meo said. “I think they should look into his performance in other courts. We all make really bad decisions as kids so bringing that stuff up from back then isn’t as big of a deal.”

Because Kavanaugh is also conservative, his political ideology plays a significant role in Coverdale and Cravens’ opposition.

“As an LGBT person and a woman, I’m nervous for Kavanaugh’s input on future cases that deal with my rights,” Coverdale said.

“Especially Roe v. Wade because it’s probably going to be appealed,” Cravens added, nodding to the 1973 court case that legalized abortion.

“You can’t tell me that sexual assault allegations ruin men’s lives when our president was accused and he’s still our president,” Coverdale said.

Clara Sloan, Web Editor

Meet Clara Sloan. This is senior year, as well as her third year on staff. She has previously worked on the Green Pride as a staff reporter and opinion...