Freshmen visit downtown Kansas City for history and culture learning experience

Members+of+De+Soto+High+School%27s+freshman+class+listen+to+a+speaker+during+a+field+trip+to+the+Negro+Leagues+Baseball+Museum+and+the+American+Jazz+Museum+in+downtown+Kansas+City%2C+Mo.%2C+on+Jan.+30.+
Members of De Soto High School's freshman class listen to a speaker during a field trip to the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum in downtown Kansas City, Mo., on Jan. 30.

Ellie Fowks, Web Editor

For the first time ever, the De Soto High School freshman class visited the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum on Jan. 30 and 31.

According to the students who attended the field trip, it was a great experience because the field trip gave them a new way to learn and a break from the monotonous routine of school.

“I enjoyed the speaker that talked to us,” freshman Abby Knuth said. “Her speaking was very powerful, and you could tell that when she spoke about the hardships of what African Americans used to have to go through. She was very passionate.”

Even though they have previously reviewed American history, the freshmen were able to learn a lot of new information.

“I learned a lot about how African Americans used baseball as an escape from what they were dealing with in the society at the time,” Knuth said.

Freshman Weston Madden pointed out that it is important to explore American history because “it can prevent Americans from making the same mistakes that they did in the past.”

The freshmen also discussed why learning how other cultures influence American society is critical.

“Other cultures’ influence still shapes and effects our society, and learning about it helps us to become more aware and considerate of the people around us,” Knuth said.

Freshman Egan Putman agreed with Knuth that discussing cultural influence is important.

“These other cultures haven’t disappeared. They’re still relevant in today’s society, and they’re part of our culture,” Putman said. “It’s good to recognize them and where we came from.”

Overall, students and teacher chaperones deemed the trip successful and are happy that DHS is implementing more field trip opportunities.