Seniors Say Sayonara

As the 2013-14 school year comes to close, the underclassmen said goodbye to the seniors earlier in the week. The Class of 2014 graduated on May 17, with their final day of high school being on May 14.

The 94th ceremony started at 2 p.m. in the gymnasium.

The class honored Alan Maxville, a student who pasted away right before he was set to start junior year with his classmates. There was an empty chair set for Maxville in his honor.

Senior class president Shelby Philbrook, vice president Mackenzie Lancaster and secretary Mackenzie Williams all gave speeches.

Each speech mentioned how everyone was getting older and how it was weird that they were all graduating. For the most part, it was a typical graduation speech: there was a metaphor of some sort that relates to their high school experiences.

Science teacher Scott Sharp said that he will miss most the “wide range of personalities, there won’t be the same thing in the next class.”

“I think it went really well. It felt very surreal. It went fast and the speeches were entertaining,” senior Rebekah Burgweger said.

The senior class speaker was Max  Simonian and the faculty speaker was Sharp.

Simonian used an analogy of a puzzle and how every member of the senior class was a piece of that puzzle.

For the faculty speaker, the students vote to decide who it will be. English teacher Phillip Hamilton was taken out of the running, because he had given many of the speeches in the past.

Sharp’s speech was based around, “the idea of not getting high off the highs or low about the lows. And the idea that you are who you want to be and people think that they are not in charge of what is going on in their lives.”

While there is only one half day left for the underclassmen before school is out for the year, it is still a weird feeling for the graduates.

“It’s weird because I’m no longer going to be on cross country and track. And when people ask where I go to high school I say, ‘I went to De Soto.’ Also, I studied a lot in high school and now I go home and I have nothing to do,” Burgweger said.