Thespians are now official

Kaylee Asher

Co-Editor in Chief 

For the first time in several years, the De Soto High School thespians troupe hosted a banquet on May 12. This banquet was intended to recognize and give awards to the thespians depending on their number of thespian points.

“You can get points from being in shows or being on the technical side of theater with things such as lighting, stage management, set design or sound. You get more points based on the level of importance of your role. You can also get points from seeing shows or being a thespian officer,” said senior vice president Erin Kaul.

In the past, the thespian points were not actually submitted to the International Thespian Society. However, thespian troupe sponsor Mary Yarnell wanted to change that.

“Luckily our troupe was still in good standing with the International Thespian Society, but only two seniors were official members of the society. This means that every kid who has gone through the system after these seniors were not official members and did not get the points that they earned,” Yarnell said.

According to the International Thespian Society, the only official thespian members at DHS were seniors thespian president Kassidy Forshey and vice president Kaul.

“Our banquet kind of served as more of an induction ceremony since the only people who were officially thespians were myself and Erin,” Forshey said.

At the banquet, Yarnell awarded each member a certificate based on their rank in the thespian society which invited them to join the International Thespian Society.

“Mrs. Yarnell really made it her goal to take care of this and get every member inducted. It’s nice to see thespians start to flourish and become official,” Forshey said.