Students celebrate Cinco de Mayo

With help from Student Council and LITE team, the special education department at De Soto High School hosted a Cinco de Mayo dance.

The Special Education department invited five schools: Baldwin High School, Spring Hill High School, Blue Valley Southwest High School, Mill Valley High School and Eudora High School to attend the dance.

Students involved in the Special Education travel to other schools to participate in their events and they decide it was De Soto’s turn to host an event.

“We decided to do a Cinco de Mayo celebration because it fell on the actual day that we were in school. It gets the Special Ed students to interact and mingle with other students in the surrounding districts,” special education teacher Solitaire Ware said.

There was a lunch and activities such as breaking pinatas, doing the limbo, chicken dance, the Mexican hat dance, the cupid shuffle and the cha-cha slide for the students to do.

“It’s a fun event for students. It’s a good opportunity for these students who might not otherwise be able to go to a dance, and it’s a fun environment,” junior Abby Cater said.

StuCo and LITE team helped out with the event by helping with some peer mentoring, and to help get everyone involved and enjoying the activities, instead of standing around and watching others have fun.

“These events are a lot of fun because seeing these kids have fun makes me happy and makes me happy to be involved,” StuCo president Maddy Cater said.