DHS drives out hunger

The LITE team is holding  a food drive the week of Nov. 11-15. The goal is to collect 1,500 items of food, which is about 28 items per Seminar class. In order to reach its goal to “drive out hunger,” the LITE team decided to make it a competition between Seminar classes.

The goods collected will be delivered to the Johnson County Christmas Bureau on Nov. 18 and will help to feed over 3,000 families during the holiday season.

This non-profit organization will put the goods in a food pantry, and families will “shop” for items that they  need.

“I think it’s important to realize how fortunate we are as a school to have really nice things, and it’s nice at this time of the year to give back,” LITE team sponsor Jennifer Sosna said.

Throughout the week, classes will collect a variety of food for different points.

On Monday, students are to bring in canned fruits and vegetables. On Tuesday students should bring in cans of soup. Wednesday is anything in a package, like cereal, brownie mix, Hamburger Helper dinners or ramen noodles. Thursday is peanut butter and jelly and pasta day, including things like Nutella, Easy Mac and different kinds of pasta. Friday is “Anything in your pantry day,” for students to bring in any items forgotten over the course of the week.

To make it a competition between Seminars, the food is assigned points. The themed foods are worth three points for each Seminar,  one point for non-themed foods and any food brought in on Friday is worth two points. The top four Seminars will receive a prize.