Wildcats designated Kansas Honors Scholars

Nineteen De Soto High School seniors were honored at Blue Valley West High School as a part of the Kansas Honors Program on Nov. 5.

Every year, the KU Alumni Association recognizes the top 10 percent of all high school seniors across the state of Kansas and presents them with an honorary dictionary.

This year, 19 seniors from DHS were recognized. They were all invited to attend a reception in their honor. Also in attendance, from DHS, was Principal Mark Meyer. Meyer says that he is very proud of this year’s class of seniors.

“I made a couple comments to everyone in attendance and told them how fortunate I am to be the principal here at De Soto High School. I also said how this is my first year and how impressed I have been with not only the entire school, but how the senior class has been especially impressive to me,” Meyer said.

Along with DHS, seniors from schools such as Mill Valley and Bishop Miege were in attendance. However, Meyer was particularly impressed with the seniors from DHS.

“What I am most impressed with is that all of our 19 students were in attendance that night and so that gave me a lot of pride for our students to know that it was important enough to be there,” Meyer said.

“We also looked sharp. Our students dressed nicely and that is good because not every student in attendance felt it was necessary to be dressed formally, so that part also gave me great pride.”

In order to be selected for the program, students must have a cumulative GPA throughout all four years of high school that puts them in the top 10 percent of their graduating class.

For the younger students here at DHS wishing to be a part of this program, Meyer stressed that students must take pride in academics from day one.

“You have to start right now. You cannot wait until you are a junior or senior to work hard in your classes. If you want to have a 4.0 or higher, you need to get started with establishing that as a freshman from day one. The foundation and base is built during your ninth grade year.”

Everyone involved with the program seems to believe that it is an honor to be recognized.