Down syndrome awareness movie stars two DHS students

Unbeknownst to the average person, De Soto High School has two movie stars walking the halls. These stars are sophomores Bretlyn Opfer and Elyssa Schmitz who starred in a movie called Just Like You that premiered on Oct. 22.

Just Like You is an awareness video about Down syndrome.  It talks about how kids afflicted with this chromosomal disorder are just like everyone else, hence the title:  Just Like You.

“It just informs you about how they are, how they act and what things hurt them and how its ok to befriend them,” Opfer said.

In the movie, the plot centers around three kids, each with their Down syndrome friend. The kids then show what activities their Down syndrome friends participate in to show how they are no different from everyone else.

Opfer and Schmitz were selected to be in this movie based on an interview Schmitz participated in. Then once Schmitz was cast, she was told to pick a friend to star alongside her. In response, she picked Opfer, her best friend.

“I love her,” Opfer said.

While they had many fun moments together, one of the favorites was when a camera crew filmed Schmitz doing stunts.

“She’s so funny when she goes up in a stunt,” Opfer said.

By doing this film, both girls hope to accomplish awareness.

“I want other people to learn about it [Down syndrome],”Schmitz said.

” I hope to make a difference to teach people, give them knowledge about how they are the same as us, and how they deserve the same respect as us,” Opfer said.

While only time will tell if Opfer’s and Schmitz’s goals are realized, in the meantime they are both enjoying being movie stars.