DHS Band takes on themed rehearsals

DHS Band takes on themed rehearsals

For the 2012 marching season, the De Soto High School band has been holding group rehearsals on the football field every Monday evening. Each rehearsal has a specific theme, in which the band members match their attire to.

“One of our themes was “thug night,” and we all dressed up in sweatpants, goodies, gold chains and/or bandanas. It was hilarious and so much fun. It makes me more excited to go to band practice,” junior Mackenzie Mathern said.

Band members say that having themes makes the two-hour-long rehearsals a more enjoyable experience. They feel as if they are all just hanging out, playing instruments and having fun. The members say that they prefer having themes rather than just regular rehearsals.

“I think that the band just really appreciates having fun nights like toga night, redneck night, decade of your choice and thug night. It makes the environment more relaxed and overall more productive,” junior drum major Mackenzie Lancaster said.

To motivate people to participate, the drum majors make participation a contest. The best dressed or most inventive people are proclaimed as the “winners”.

The theme nights will resume through the end of football season. All of the drum majors hope that the other band members will continue to participate and have fun at practice.