State Testing

After spring break comes annual state testing. Tenth grade English testing started on March 26. Then, math is in April with science behind it.

There are many incentives for students to reach that five or exemplary setting.

The state tests are scaled on a 1-5 rating. One is academic warning, two is approaches standards, three is meets standards, four is exceeds standards, and five is exemplary.

“We want everyone to reach exemplary. That is our highest goal, I’d love for that to happen,” said De Soto High School Principal David Morford.

At DHS, getting a score of a three or above will get you a Wild Card.

“This started about six years ago. It really helped bring scores up,” Morford said.

If you get a three, you will get one day off from school, from a scheduled list of days. When you get a four, you will get the day off plus two Seminars off. A five will be no final in the area that you excelled in, plus the accumulative other rewards.

Morford also said that if student raise scores from a one to a two, they will still be rewarded. Wild Cards will also have 10 percentage points that can be used in most classes. The only catch is that you can only use five points per class and you can’t add points to your grade in an AP class or College Now class.