Wild Cat of the Week: Faxon Freeman runs for clean water

Junior+Faxon+Freeman+stands+with+his+sister%2C+Lexington+Trails+eight+grader+Ailey+Freeman%2C+after+completing+a+race.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Faxon Freeman stands with his sister, Lexington Trails eight grader Ailey Freeman, after completing a race.

Kennedy Ebberts, Staff Reporter

Since June of 2018, De Soto High School junior Faxon Freeman has been running for an organization called Team World Vision. He raises money to provide clean water to those in need. Most of what the organization does benefits those struggling for water in Africa. In 2018, they supplied 4.6 million people  clean water.

“I feel like it can be my way of giving myself [in order]to help other people,” Freeman said.

When Freeman began training, Team World Vision provided an optional regimen to get him prepared for half marathons. He started with a simple regimen to get him into shape and grew to run 15 to 20 miles a week. Now, Freeman runs full half marathons. 

“I’m not super fast and the short distance stuff isn’t my forte,” Freeman said.

After training for a little over a year, Freeman is now doubling the provided training regiment. In fact, most Saturdays he runs up to 10 miles.

“We collect donations individually and then all of that money goes to Team World Vision,” Freeman said.  

Team World Vision is one of the largest charities for clean water. With $50 they are able to provide one person with clean water for their entire life and each person has their own fundraising system.

Freeman hopes that by seeing his dedication others will join or donate to help those in need. Donations are accepted at https://www.Teamworldvision.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=206887