WOTW – Sydney Jenkins

Back to Article
Back to Article

WOTW – Sydney Jenkins

Junior Delaney Lecluyse crowns 2019 prom queen Sydney Jenkins at this years annual dance.

Wildcat Photo

Wildcat Photo

Wildcat Photo

Lynlee Hutchison, Staff Reporter

After a week of suspense, the 2019 De Soto High School prom candidates were glad to hear the results at the dance on April 27.

The results were announced that evening crowning Sydney Jenkins queen.

Living with Down syndrome, Jenkins was overwhelmed with joy that she was able to win something she never dreamed could come true.

“It felt very good knowing that someone voted for me, and I’m really happy,” Jenkins said.

Not only was this a night full of happiness for Jenkins, but also her family who attended the event, as well.

“My sister was there, and I was there and we were just in tears because we didn’t think that was possible,” Sydney’s mother, Lisa Jenkins, said.

Sydney got the chance to enjoy the dance with some of her close friends who made the night one to remember.

“It was really cool to see it bring her so much joy. Something like that shows the community and support DHS has for every student. I am really glad that I got to experience it with her. It was fun,” said senior prom king candidate Evan Sauro.

The positive atmosphere at De Soto high school is not only noticed by students, but parents and peers of students as well.

“It’s very indicative of how great the students at DHS are. It’s just amazing that they allowed her to be herself, and see her for the type of person that she is, and were willing to elevate her to that level,” Lisa said.

Sydney’s mother was so happy Sydney had the opportunity to be involved in such a memorable event.

“She actually got to experience what a normal kid would get to experience; going to dinner with their friends and taking her to the prom,” Lisa said.

Sydney was recognized by the Kansas City Down Syndrome Guild for her accomplishment and is now looked as at a role model by other kids with condition.

“I think it gives hope to people who have kids that are younger and they can say ‘oh look at the world they are accepting of people with disabilities,’” Lisa said. “I think this will be a memory she will never ever forget. The whole night was magical for her.”

Lynlee Hutchison, Staff Reporter

Meet Lynlee Hutchison. This is Lynlee’s sophomore year and first  year on staff. Her favorite thing to write is feature stories because it gives her...