Senior shares shadowing experience

Senior Martin Searcy poses for a picture while taking part in one of the UMKC Summer Scholar Program activities.

Wildcat Photo

Ella Fixsen, Staff Reporter

Senior Martin Searcy has been interested in the medical field for the majority of his life, and this previous summer, he participated in the University of Missouri Kansas City Summer Scholars Program to gain experience in the healthcare world.

According to Searcy, he has always had a “passion for helping people,” but his interest in medical studies was mainly influenced by his family members.

“Most of my uncles are doctors, so that kind of fueled my interest,” Searcy said. “My Grandpa actually got sick and died a while ago, and just thinking about that makes me have the dream of helping people and stopping people from dying from diseases and things like that.”

Through the program, Searcy has been able to shadow multiple types of medical professionals, including dentists, surgeons, family practitioners, radiologists and physical therapists.

With this experience, Searcy has gained unforgettable experiences and interactions in a hospital setting, sometimes even working personally with patients.

“When you help a patient and they thank you, that’s the best feeling ever,” Searcy said. “One of my patients told me ‘it warms my heart to see young people like you working hard trying to make the future better for people.’ I gave her a hug, and and it was just a feeling I can’t describe. It was so great.”

Not only did Searcy enjoy his hands-on encounters in the medical center, but he also discovered his passion and love for this field of work.

“[the program] really helped because now I think about it, and I really miss being at the hospital. It was a great environment,” Searcy said. “I’ve learned that I really love being in the hospital. I really love it a lot. I love the people there. I love the patients.”

Searcy believes that his experience has been beneficial in realizing his passion and deciding what career he would like to pursue in the future. He also feels that programs like this could benefit students who are working to discover their own paths.

“Right now in high school, most people have an idea of what they want to do, but no one really knows for sure,” Searcy said. “Going places to shadow really gives you an idea of what that’s actually like, rather than just doing an interview or seeing it on TV.”