Wildcat of the week: Kaitlyn Bell

Kaitlyn Bell walks away from the net after the DHS varsity team scores on Mill Valley.

Wildcat Photo

Wildcat Photo

Oliver Stutzman, Staff Reporter

Students at De Soto High School have always been encouraging to one another, but senior Kaitlyn Bell takes that to the next level. Bell is an active student at DHS, participating in A&M Crew, freshman mentoring and volleyball. Even after going through a difficult injury and getting surgery on her shoulder, she has managed to recover and continues to play on the varsity team for DHS.

Since middle school, volleyball has had a major impact in Bell’s life. After a labrum tear in her shoulder last year, Bell started training and working out just two weeks after her surgery.

“Kaitlyn is a very determined individual. Once she has her mind made up, she’s going to do something and it’s hard convincing her otherwise … she was back in the weight room immediately [after the surgery] and has worked extensively with rehab, physical therapy and has fought her way back on the court,” said head volleyball coach Lindsay Hothan.

According to Bell, her mom has been one of the biggest supporters in her life and always has her back when things get tough. Many other teachers, students and fellow athletes have also influenced her including coaches and teammates.

“The best part of playing [volleyball] in high school is probably playing with the girls. I’ve always been close with them but playing with them and experiencing high school volleyball has been so fun with them and we’re all so close now,” Bell said.

Not only does Bell receive this support but she gives it just as much. On many accounts, students can see her in class helping her peers, making people laugh or encouraging others to be the best person they can be. At games, she motivates her teammates on the court as she continues to push herself harder each day.

Despite her injuries, hardships and stress, Bell radiates positivity and is a great peer to have as a role model.

Oliver Stutzman, Staff Reporter

Meet Oliver Stutzman. This is Oliver's sophomore year and his 1st year on staff. His favorite thing to write is feature stories because it provides him...