Meet the foreign exchange students of DHS

De Soto High School has three foreign exchange students this year. (from left to right: Kevin Tao, Celeste Zeng and Kjersti Jensen).

Clara Sloan

Clara Sloan, Staff Reporter

The first day back to school is stressful for anyone, but imagine going through it in an entirely different country and having to speak a foreign language. That is what De Soto’s three foreign exchange students are experiencing this year.

Junior Kjersti Jensen is from Norway. She is a part of the cross country team, which she says is a great place to “meet people on a smaller scale.”

Back home, Jensen took the public transit bus to and from school, whereas here she takes the school bus. So far, the biggest adjustment for her has been getting used to how busy the school is.

“A lot more stuff is happening here, like sports,” Jensen said. “That doesn’t happen in Norway.”

Celeste Zeng, a junior from China, also runs on the cross country team. This is her first experience living with a family while going to school, as students at her school in China live on campus in a dormitory during the school year.

According to Zeng, the language barrier and late start time of school have been the greatest problems to overcome. What has helped her adjust are the people she has met at DHS.

“The teachers and students here are very friendly,” Zeng said.

Sophomore Kevin Tao is also from China. The biggest difference he’s noticed so far is the smaller size of De Soto compared to his school back home. This year, Tao is taking advantage of the many classes offered at school. He says there are a lot more here than what he’s used to, which for him means that there’s “more choices and more opportunities.”

All three students have already enjoyed their experience enough to say that they plan on coming back, and for Zeng that could even be as soon as next year.

Clara Sloan, Web Editor

Meet Clara Sloan. This is senior year, as well as her 3rd year on staff. She has previously worked on the Green Pride as a staff reporter and opinion editor. Her favorite thing to write is opinion stories because it allows her to explore controversial topics. When Clara isn’t writing for the Green Pride she spends her time reading, hanging out with friends or downing her second venti. Besides Newspaper, Clara is involved in NHS, Forensics, Scholars Bowl and takes various AP courses here at DHS. You can reach her at [email protected].