Senior leads herself into a scholarship

Senior leads herself into a scholarship

Paying for college is difficult, and scholarships are hard to come by. However, senior Kassidy Forshey has won a $1,000, four-year renewable scholarship for her leadership abilities.

“My scholarship is for the leadership institute at Washburn University,” Forshey said.

The leadership institute is selective group of admitted students to enhance “the education, experience and empowerment for all students to understand, practice and refine their leadership talents and skills,” according to Washburn’s website.

To win this scholarship, Forshey had to first be admitted to Washburn’s Leadership Institute for the 2014-15 school year. This group is selective and one’s admission is based entirely on a student’s high school involvement and achievement.

“There was a G.P.A. requirement and an application with specific things that we had to answer. I also had to submit a resume and write an essay answering a specific prompt,” Forshey said,

After getting the news that she was accepted into the institute, Forshey was invited to compete in a interview day on Washburn’s campus on Feb. 14.

“They chose around 40 people to participate in the interview day. They only give away a few scholarships though. At the interview, we had several personal interviews and a case study. We also met a lot of current students who are involved with the institute,” Forshey said.

Forshey plans to major in biology or kinesiology and will use this money to help pay for her leadership minor. She believes that this institute will enhance her leadership abilities and help her in her future career.

“Through the institute, I’m going to meet a lot of leaders in the local community and the business world. This will help me build relationships and contacts with people who have the potential to be future employers,” Forshey said.