DHS Winter Royalty festivities

Photo by Shelby Philbrook
Photo by Shelby Philbrook

Last Friday, De Soto High School held its annual Queen of Winter Sports pep assembly, a preface to the basketball game later that night.

The assembly was held during Seminar. As students filed in, they were greeted by the pep band blasting some of their favorite pep songs.

The gathering was kicked off by Principal Mark Meyer, who welcomed the students when they were getting seated.

During the assembly, two students from each class along with two staff representatives were called down to the gym floor to participate in an ice cream eating contest. The competition was won by senior Nick Hall.

Mr. Joe Kordalski addressed the student body about the Cat Pride Drug Fact/Awareness Week, which would begin the following Monday. Kordalski is the school social worker here at DHS.

After a short wait, the main event of the assembly was held; the King and Queen of Winter Sports candidates were introduced, foreshadowing the crowning later that night.

The king candidates were seniors Braiden Turner, Isaac Lueth and Ryan Stallbaumer. The queen candidates were Kori Henderson, Taylor Saucerman and Paige Williams.

Later that night, Lueth and Saucerman were crowned the 2013 King and Queen of Winter Sports.

The end of the assembly was accompanied by the pep band, who played the school’s fight song “Wildcat Victory” as students left the gymnasium.