Flappy Bird takes over De Soto

Flappy Bird. Yes, you know the game. You heard your friends talking about tapping furiously on your phone while dodging pipes, so you decide to give it a try. It’s smooth sailing for about thirty seconds. One wrong move and your bird “dies” as you let out a groan of agony and frustration. You don’t care about anything else. Now you’re hooked.

You don’t eat. Probably haven’t slept, because all you care about is getting this bird through those pipes unscathed. You haven’t gone to school. Claimed you were “sick”, but really, the sick thing is your addiction to the game. Finally, it gets ridiculous, and you must return to school.

All day all you hear is ‘ding’, all of your teacher’s faces have turned to birds, when you walk you hear ‘whoosh’… The second you get time, you’re back on your phone (screen slightly dented at this point) and playing again. A cure for Flappy Bird-itis hasn’t been found yet, but don’t worry. They’re trying.

But, if this game is so addicting and annoying, why does everyone play it so much?! Geez, it’s Temple Run all over again. This addicting game can be seen all over the halls, especially prior to the school day, where 90 percent of people are on their phones anyway. In classes, I can always hear people comparing high scores (or playing it behind a teacher’s back). Why do people love this game so much, when there’s so many other things you could be doing—like actually paying attention in class, for instance.

Trust me, I understand. I downloaded Flappy Bird, and I get how intense it is. I understand how you play once and you’re hooked, and that’s the end. I saw warnings on social media saying how horribly addicting the game is… and I thought it was a joke.

This game is so intense, someone had a high score of 224. 224! How could you spend so much time on this app, that you got a high score of 224, random Flappy Bird user?!

I’m not saying never play Flappy Bird again. I’m just saying don’t let it take over your life. Don’t let the scenario described in the first paragraph become your life. And if it does, look out for Flappy Bird withdrawal syndrome during the school hours, or whenever you’re not playing. It’s a thing.