Boundary Blog II: Questions to think about

Here are some frequently asked questions that students and parents are wondering, but haven’t really gotten clear answers. On a different note, Dec. 18 and 19 will be public forums where the public talks about the issue. The forums will be after school most likely, and I urge everyone to attend: they will be heated.

Q. Would the Board of Education be able to move bond funds set aside for DHS to MVHS?

A. Legally, there would be no problem with just switching funding up with a snap of the board’s fingers. However, morally is where this question has a gray area. In the Bond issue, voters were told what would be done with their money. By simply switching funds, some voters could potentially be angry because they were misled in the original bond issue. Also, there is another thing to consider: creating two completely different high school experiences in the same district. Many people want to simply make the big bigger and the small smaller. The problem is that DHS gives students opportunities that MVHS students just don’t have. My freshman year, I was involved in marching band, football and the musical all at the same time. That would be difficult to do at Mill Valley. This different experience makes the district really lopsided, which could affect homebuyers in the area. There is no clear answer to this question, which seems to be common to most boundary questions. RSP and Associates (talked about in my last blog at https://www.dhsnews.org/blogs/2013/10/23/trex-boundary-blog-1/,) will actually ask the Board of Education this same question next Monday, Nov. 11.

Q. If boundary changes are made, would I have to switch schools immediately?

A. More than likely, no. The last time the Board switched boundary lines for schools, kids were phased into the system, which means middle and high school students would probably be allowed to stay at their current school with the switch happening as they enter sixth and/or ninth grade.

Q. What areas will be affected the most by boundary change?

A. Many suggested plans for the boundary committee have been brought to the table which are all open record on USD 232’s website www.usd232.org/enrollmentstudy. For a more general view: If you live south of Shawnee Mission Parkway, or west of K-7 highway, you will more than likely be affected.

I hope that this will clear some rumors up, and will help you form an opinion on the boundary issue.